- 900g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp milk
- 110g butter, cubed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes until soft but not breaking up – about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and put to one side.
- Place the milk and butter in the pan used to boil the potatoes, return the pan to the heat and warm gently until the butter has melted into the milk.
- Add the potatoes and mash using either a potato masher, a fork or a potato ricer.
- Whip the mashed potato lightly with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.